Thursday, August 11, 2011

Blah, Blah, Blah

It's been busy Chez Mibi.

Strong Opinions is now moving toward a healthier frame of mind in the aftermath of the breakup with the BF. She will be leaving in a few days to do a road trip, to visit friends and start to envision what her next steps will be. I'm glad she is taking these steps, although I will be a worried mama while she is on the road with the 1975 Datsun 280Z. The car is almost as old as her eldest brother. Sigh. Nevertheless, it is an improvement on where she was when she got here. And PH and I will get our life and home back again...while she was struggling through the worst of this, we felt we needed to stay close, and neither of us was able to fully attend to our professional responsibilities. Color me guilty. but only slightly.

We've had some very sick parishioners recently, one of which was a surprise of a particularly unpleasant sort, so the Saab has been trekking back and forth to various hospitals and rehab facilities in the area. Thank goodness for mileage reimbursement.

Vacation Bible School has been wonderful, although because of the situation with SO I haven't been there very much. Lots of new kids from the neighborhood as well as our own dear kiddos, and the adults and teens who are leading and participating are fabulous. We are blessed.

I've also been busy in my role as president of the neighborhood clergy association. We have been advocating in support of rezoning approval for a mosque to be built in our neighborhood. It has been a sometimes contentious thing, with a few folks saying some rather hateful things about Islam, but we went to the final county board meeting this past week. I spoke, one of many speakers who urged approval, and a few folks spoke against, but in the end the board did the right thing, and a piece of property that has been undeveloped for 27 years will finally be put to good use as a house of worship for some wonderful folks in our area. I've gotten a few brickbats thrown my way in the aftermath, but generally everyone has applauded our work in support of the mosque. BTW, kudos to my Bishop, who wrote a letter in support of the mosque. Nice to know he's got my back when I need him.

Tomorrow is my birthday. I'm older than my father was when he died, I'm older than my mother was when she had her first series of heart attacks. I've got a bunch of odd and annoying medical problems, but I get up every morning and do some sort of exercise and have a great husband and kids that I adore, so I'm grateful that I've lived this long, and even more grateful for the gift of my vocation. It energizes me when I don't think I have an ounce of oomph left in me.

And after Sunday, I will be on vacation for two weeks. Aaaaahhhhhhh!

No comments: