Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Decompression

I've been out at our diocesan retreat center/camp since yesterday afternoon at a clergy retreat. It has been a blessing. I hadn't realized how tired I was until I had the time to stop and think. the wonderful presentations by the brothers from the SSJE gave me food for thought and meditation and some material for future sermons. Being with friends and talking about the ups and downs of the work was a delight. And having a nap on a weekday afternoon was priceless.

Saint Middle School is reeling after the unexpected death of a parishioner - the first parishioner at this little mission parish to pass. The parishioner had been in church just a week before, contracted the flu, and died in six days. We are awaiting final word on what actually caused her death. She was a dear woman who had been married to her best friend for almost 40 years. I have been spending a lot of time with her husband, trying to keep watch with him as he seeks answers for that which is unanswerable. Much sadness. He is being supported with much love and care by his friends, doing the work that we as followers of Christ are called to do. Meanwhile, we wait for her to be released tot he funeral home so we can schedule and plan her funeral.

I am doing my best to be there for him and for them, and wonder, as I always do, if it is helpful or is enough. I think I've come to a place of peace that it can never be enough, only God is enough.

And I am preparing for another trip north of here to interview with the vestry and the Bishop in a place that may call me as their rector.

So perhaps I will go to bed early this evening, and try to store up some energy for the next two weeks, which should be exhausting ones, but gratifying in a thousand ways. It will be interesting.

1 comment:

Rev Dr Mom said...

Glad you had a bit of respite, and good luck on your interview!!!!!