Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Book Meme

My friend Mary Beth tagged me for this delightful little meme. I'm afraid my responses are going to be pretty boring.

Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more. (No cheating!)

I'm sitting on the couch, my favorite workspace (I really tried to work on my desk upstairs, but the couch is so darned comfortable) and the nearest book is A History of the Episcopal Church by my CH prof, Robert Prichard. No exciting books within reach...unless you consider some of the internecine battles of my denomination exciting. Prof. Prichard does.

Find Page 123 and Find the first 5 sentences.

"A generous donor, leaving funds for a general seminary in New York, solved the problem. The two institutions had to combine to receive the gift. Hobart gained two important concessions.His own assistant was to be the first professor of ecclesiastical polity (thereby guaranteeing a proper stress on the episcopacy that separated the Episcopal Church from other Protestant denominations), and his diocese was to receive representation on the board of trustees proportionate to contributions. General Seminary, while an institution of the church at large, became a successful proponent of Hobartian high church doctrine."

...don't say I didn't warn you....

Post the next 3 sentences.

...you sure you want me to do this?

"Meade and Wilmer and a host of others founded a seminary near Alexandria, Virginia, that accorded better with their evangelical understanding of the church. As at General Seminary, the students at Virginia used texts from the list prepared by Bishop White, but Wilmer, who served as the first professor of the school, took a very different apologetic stance from his counterparts at General. He stressed the similarities, rahter than the differences, between Episcopalians and other Protestants."

Thus you have something of the story of my seminary, presuming you're still awake.

Tag 5 people.

Okay, I'll tag reverendmother, cheesehead, preacher-blogger-procrastinator, kathryn at good in parts, and lorna at see-through-faith. Forgive me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing at this post because I've just come from three hours of Reformed Theology, which in principle is pretty interesting. But -- taught by a very soft-spoken woman who is not at all as dynamic as the hour needs -- AND it was three hours of John Calvin's Institutes. sigh...

Well -- we will get through it, right?

Sophia said...

This is cool! It's something of the story of my seminary too!

I feel like we need to add: "and so they continue to this day..." :-)

Rev Dr Mom said...

I'm with Sophia...the story of MY seminary, too.