Sunday, January 28, 2007

Time Zones

It's 5 a.m. I'm awake.

This is better than yesterday, when I was down at Diocesan Council and sharing a room with my dear buddy C. It was 3 a.m. when I woke up, wide awake and ready to rock and roll. I lay in bed planning out the required paper for the trip to Qatar (well, at least I got one great paragraph done in my head) until 6 a.m., when I got up, quietly showered and dressed, and went downstairs in search of breakfast.

We elected a bishop coadjutor. For those of us who love and support our present bishop, it was a bittersweet reminder that his work as diocesan bishop will be drawing to a close in a couple of years.

We also voted in favor of a trial period for parishes, if they so choose, to perform same-sex unions. It passed with little discussion, great calm, and quiet joy for those of us who have viewed this as a civil rights/justice issue.

The Archbishop of Auckland NZ, also head of the Anglican Consultative Council, was the chaplain and was a thoughtful and moving preacher.


At Council, I got to reconnect with a priest friend who had been in Qatar, and a number of my seminary classmates. When I got home, I went to school to see what awaited in my mailbox. I was surprised at how emotional it felt to be back home on the Holy Hill. Mirabile dictu, a number of exams and papers were there in my mailbox. Medium to good grades and thoughtful comments. Still no exegesis papers (turned in several months ago).

Then I got home and checked for reading lists, syllabi, etc. for my new classes that start tomorrow. Several hundred pages await me already. Gack.

I think I should go back to sleep now...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the real world!
Good luck on the upcoming semester.