Friday, January 26, 2007

Home again

I got back to the USA after 22 hours in transit. Dinner in Qatar (delicious steak), midnight snack in Bahrain(so undistinguished I can't remember what it was), breakfast over London (awful airplane omelet), coffee in Heathrow(Costa coffee is much better than Starbucks as chain coffee houses go), lunch over the Atlantic (awful airplane penne bolognese), afternoon snack over Boston (awful airplane mystery sandwich), dinner back in VA with PH and StrongOpinions (pretty good BBQ pork). I'm not sure what species I am, much less what time zone I'm in, but I slept from 9 pm until now, so that's not bad. I am afraid, however, to step on the bathroom scale. I fear the number may be horrendous.

Suddenly going from an airport where the men are mostly in long white robes with scarves on their head and the women are mostly all covered up, to an airport with everyone mostly in jeans and various types of much more body-revealing clothing, is a shock to the system.

I'm off in a couple of hours to diocesan council (100 miles down the road), where I'll work as a teller. We are electing a bishop coadjutor, and we will have lots of talk, I would guess, about the Episcopal churches in the diocese who left and what we should do about property and such. Lively stuff.

I think I'll be able to stay awake.

I'll check back in with y'all on Sunday.

2 comments:

John B. Chilton said...

Say hello to my wife when you are at Council.

I will be following the election from the UAE.

New Virginia Church Man

Anonymous said...

Welcome back home and thanks for sharing so many pictures and experiences!