Monday, May 15, 2006

Mother's Day High Points/ Real Estate Challenges

Yesterday was a full day, what with church (two services plus a meeting to plan our concert series for next year), working on the house in preparation for the brokers' open house tomorrow, and dinner with StrongOpinions as a combo Mother's Day/her birthday celebration.

PH had tackled what we thought was just a small paint chip problem in our high ceiling hallway - turned out to require a major plaster repair. So there was not only a major ladder in the stairwell, there was also plaster dust everywhere after he sanded. Spooky the black cat decided she needed to do her snow angels imitation by rolling in the plaster dust, and then she decided to share the joy by tracking it around the house. Ah, well... fortunately, the project got done (PH finished sanding and painting it at 7 a.m. this morning). I spent my mother's day evening taking apart the kitchen faucet, replacing the imbedded water filter, and repairing the spring mechanism that controls the spray. That, and folding laundry. And doing more cleaning.

I did get to talk with the Princess Granddaughter, who is Grandmary's favorite granddaughter (also the only, but that's the way these things go), and her dad, Stepson#1, who has grown into such a wonderful man, husband and father. Good phone calls with Litigator and StoneMason, and telephone tag with Stepson#2, father of grandsons Cowboy and StrongLungs.

The high point of the evening was when I went to bed, though.

No, not what you think, those of you with dirty minds.

A letter, which StrongOpinions had tucked under my pillow, and which I didn't find until 11:30 p.m.

I'll share some of it with you, because it was such a wonderful gift, I couldn't be happier:

Happy Mother's Day!

You have always given me everything I have ever wanted. I remember when we still lived up north and it was Christmas Time. You bought my cousin a porcelain tea set, and I begged you to give it to me, and you did! One of the countless examples of how you never let me down (--materially -- we'll get to the other stuff later)! For my whole life, whether I showed it or not, I have had issues with feeling guilty for owning all the possessions I do [ her mother inserts here that we were generous but not extravagant with her], getting all I want, etc. This, I now realize, was not because I didn't feel I deserved them or I felt you couldn't afford it; it was because I have never felt like I will ever be able to make it up to you. You have done more in your lifetime to make me happy than anything else. Someday, I hope to be able to return the favor (I guess materially)...hot tub sound good? But for now I hope you can accept this...you are the smartest, most independent, and admirable woman I know. You will always be my hero and the best mother in the universe (or whatever is beyond our knowledge of space). As I go off to school, I cannot even begin to imagine my life without you right next door to me. Expect many phone calls of ranting about my frustrations of that day, and boycotts of the month, and radical left-wing nonsense of that sort. Any time I get the chance I'll be home. The day that I save the world, you'll be the one I thank. You've been there all along, and you'll be there forever. I love you so much, and I'm sorry I have to work today! Happy Mother's Day (I know it's a Hallmark holiday and technically I should boycott it, but I do think you deserve an entire day if not more dedicated to just you).

I love you.

StrongOpinions

xoxoxo

Worth the challenging times with her, eh? And for what it's worth, she's the strongest, most independent, admirable 18 year old I know. And I'm the luckiest mom.

No comments: